Monday, October 26, 2009

"I like people who shake other people up and make them feel uncomfortable" - Jim Morrison

Watched Rachel Getting Married over the wknd. Although it was one of the best acted and scripted movies I have seen in a very long time, I don't think I could recommend it to anyone I know, as mainly, it's profoundly sad.   I actually watched after midnight, while Jeff slept, and it kept me up all night.  What really intrigues me is that people are hugely torn over this movie. The New Yorker rated it the best movie of 2008, yet there is a Facebook page called "Rachel Getting Married Sucks", with scores of negative, insulting posts. Well, I guess differing opinions are true of any film, but I for one totally got it,and I'm sorry some weren't able to.   I am a glutton for risks in film, and this movie took many.  Perhaps because when one of my best friends in high school became an annoying addict - although not as tragic as this movie's star -  I began to see most people as less problematic and more of just who they are. And so, my big realization early Saturday morning was that if we can find in the viewing of art  just one empathetic instance, we can get so much more out of experiencing new things, and new people in our own lives.  Everything is related, we just have to let our guards down to see where and how the strings attach. It takes a brave, true person to accept others as they are, and a weaker, less substantial one to shun them.  Oh yea, and I also have a big girl crush  on the movie's screen writer, Jenny Lement.